Reach Us +44 7482 877735

Abstract

Outcome of Enhanced Recovery after Surgery Protocol in a Patients Undergoing Pancreatic Surgery

Context The enhanced recovery after surgery pathway aims to reduce the stress related to surgery and thereby accelerate the recovery of patients. The experience of implementing this pathway in so called complex type pancreatic surgery is relatively limited. Objective The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety, feasibility and clinical outcomes of the ERAS protocol after pancreatic resection at B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS), Nepal. Methods Between December 2015 to January 2018, a retrospective analysis of 25 consecutive patients managed by enhanced recovery after surgery protocol following pancreatic resection was carried out. The incidences of postoperative complications, postoperative length of hospital stay, readmissions, reoperations and mortality were studied. Results A total of 25 patients who underwent pancreatic resection (pancreaticoduodenectomy-64%, distal pancreatectomy-20% and Frey’s procedure-16%) were analyzed. The mean age of the patients was 48 years with a female predominance (56%). Jaundice was seen in 48% of patients, while preoperative biliary drainage was required in only 12% of cases. The mean postoperative length of hospital stay and overall morbidity were 10.8 days and 60% respectively, with major morbidity as per Clavien-Dindo classification was seen in only 24% of patients, which were in accordance with the existing world literature. Similarly, the 30-day reoperation, readmission and mortality rates were 12%, 4% and 4% respectively. Conclusion The enhanced recovery after surgery protocol is feasible and should be valued and adopted in the management of pancreatic pathologies at our centre.


Author(s):

Narendra Pandit, Rupesh Sah, Laligen Awale, Lokesh Shekher Jaiswal, Shailesh Adhikary



Abstract | Full-Text | PDF

Share this  Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn  Google+

Abstracted/Indexed in

  • Index Copernicus
  • Academic Journals Database
  • Genamics JournalSeek
  • Academic Keys
  • China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI)
  • CiteFactor
  • Scimago
  • British Library
  • Electronic Journals Library
  • Directory of Research Journal Indexing (DRJI)
  • WorldCat
  • Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI)
  • EBSCO Host
  • MIAR
  • International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE)
  • University of Zurich - UZH
  • University Grants Commission
  • SWB Online-Katalog
  • Scholarsteer
  • Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research
  • Secret Search Engine Labs
Flyer image