Reply to: Platelet Aggregation, Platelet Serotonin and Pancreatitis
8, Chrisostomou Smirnis str. GR-68 100 Alexandroupolis Greece
- *Corresponding Author:
- Konstantinos Mimidis
8, Chrisostomou Smirnis str.
GR-68 100 Alexandroupolis
E-mail: [email protected]
Received: June 1st, 2004
Platelet Adhesiveness; Platelet Aggregation
p-5HT: platelet-serotonin; SSRIs: selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors
In response to the letter of Drs. Lechin and van der Dijs , we would like to express our gratitude concerning the additional information presented by the author. Indeed, the crucial role of platelet-serotonin (p-5HT) has been well-established in thrombogenesis and the release of serotonin has been proposed as the “gold standard” assay for the detection of thrombocyte activation .
However, the purpose of our study was to test a newly developed method of evaluating primary hemostasis based on the platelet function analyzer (PFA-100TM) in a prethrombotic model such as acute pancreatitis. This method had only been applied to hemorrhagic diathesis and its usefulness in thrombosis was unknown [3, 4, 5, 6]. Thus, we focused on testing the specific method rather than commenting on the underlying pathophysiology of platelets in acute pancreatitis.
In conclusion, the authors’ statements regarding the p-5HT levels and the potent use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) in acute pancreatitis serve as a valuable proposal for future studies.
- Lechin F, van der Dijs B. Platelet aggregation, platelet serotonin and pancreatitis. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2004; 5(4):237-238.
- Gobbi G, Mirandola P, Tazzari PL, Ricci F, Caimi L, Cacchioli A, et al. Flow cytometry detection of serotonin content and release in resting and activated platelets. Br J Haematol 2003; 121:892-6. [PMID 12786800]
- Wuillemin WA, Gasser KM, Zeerleder SS, Lämmle B. Evaluation of a Platelet Function Analyser (PFA-100®) in patients with a bleeding tendency. Swiss Med Wkly 2002; 132:443-8. [PMID 12457302]
- Gosselin RC, Paglieroni T, Owings J, Utter G, Jacoby R, Larkin EC. Decreased PFA-100 values is associated with increased platelet activation. In: 7th Annual Meeting of the European Hematology Association. Florence, Italy, 6-9 June 2002. Bologna, Italy: Monduzzi Editore, International Proceedings Division, 2002. [ISBN. Book: 88-323-2606-X - CDROM: 88-323-2607-9]
- Mammen EF, Comp PC, Gosselin R, Greenberg C, Hoots WK, Kessler CM, et al. PFA-100 system: a new method for assessment of platelet dysfunction. Semin Thromb Hemost 1998; 24:195-202. [PMID 9579642]
- Escolar G, Cases A, Vinas M, Pino M, Calls J, Cirera I, et al. Evaluation of acquired platelet dysfunctions in uremic and cirrhotic patients using the platelet function analyzer (PFA-100TM): influence of hematocrit elevation. Haematologica 1999; 84:614-9. [PMID 10406903]